On Tuesday, Sept. 28, Amanda Bradley, COPES associate chief program officer, and Krista Lewis, chief program officer of Adult Mental Health and Crisis Services at Family & Children’s Services, received the Community Health Champion Award at the 18th annual Champions of Health Awards presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma in Oklahoma City. COPES also received a $5,000 grant. Actress, model and author Brooke Shields served as keynote speaker for the virtual event.
Presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma (BCBSOK), the 18th annual Champions of Health Awards honored individuals and organizations working to improve the health of Oklahomans. All sponsorship proceeds from the virtual event benefited The Oklahoma Caring Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization that provides Oklahoma children with immunizations at no charge through its Caring Van program.
The Center for Individuals with Physical Challenges (The Center), a Tulsa-based nonprofit organization dedicated to providing opportunities for individuals with physical challenges, was named the recipient of the Dr. Rodney L. Huey Memorial Champion of Oklahoma Health, the highest honor of the Champions of Health Awards. The Center is an adaptive recreational facility where youth and adults with physical challenges can reap the benefits of programs and opportunities to meet their individual needs and goals.
As the overall winner, The Center received a $15,000 grant, and winners in remaining categories obtained a $5,000 grant. Additional winners and finalists include:
- Champion of Children’s Health Winner: Anna’s House Foundation Finalist: Counseling & Recovery Services of Oklahoma CALM Center
- Champion of Senior Health Winner: LIFE Senior Services Finalist: Areawide Aging Agency
- Champion of the Uninsured Winner: Health Outreach Prevention Education, Inc. (H.O.P.E.) Finalist: Brendon McLarty Memorial Foundation
- Community Health Champion Winner: Family & Children’s Services COPES 911 Finalist: Hospitality House of Tulsa
- Corporate Health Champion Winner: Paycom.*
*The Corporate Health Champion is ineligible to receive grant funds.