The agency was founded as “Family Welfare Society of Tulsa” with a goal to be the professional relief-giving agency through casework for families in need • Housed with the Tulsa Community Chest.
1932 – Name changed to United Relief & Service Association to furnish shelter and food to families in distress • 1937 – Name changed to The United Family Service Association to extend relief to disadvantaged families and restore them to independent and normal family life.
1944 – The United Family Service Association merged with the Children’s Service Bureau to become Tulsa Family & Children’s Services in order to expedite services to the community.
Homemaker services began • Adoption work increased • Agency ceased relief work and focused on counseling services • Began collaborations with Tulsa Public Schools, Salvation Army, the Tulsa County Bar, Juvenile Court, Dunbar Day Care Center and Tulsa Boys Home.
Initiated home-based counseling to the aged • Seminole Hills Project begins, using private enterprise for urban renewal • 1969 – Began a one-to-one volunteer program that became Big Brothers & Sisters • Founded the Timothy Varick Child Center • Opened the first office in north Tulsa • Established South Haven Community Center.
Sunshine Services Homemaker Home Health Aide was established • Foster care and adoption services were discontinued • Family counseling services and FLE programs expanded • The Central Office was moved to the South Peoria location, and the East Tulsa office was opened • 1971- Began juvenile delinquency prevention programs in public housing.
CHOICES, a youth prevention program, expands • 1981- Established first Family Sexual Abuse Treatment Program in Oklahoma, established Family Mental Health Services, which became an independent entity in 1986 • 1986-The first female executive director, Gail Lapidus, was hired.
Agency begins providing literacy services at the request of TAUW • Helping Children Cope With Divorce program was established • The Head Start partnership began • Satellite offices and family resource centers were expanded into surrounding metro areas • Began annual training conference featuring world class family therapy leaders • Initiated disaster response services • Implemented best-practice prevention programs.
Established the F&CS mental health division • Created child psychiatry, substance abuse services and drug court / mental health court prison diversion programs • Built new Central Office facility • Children’s and school-based mental health services expanded • Established specialized education programs for fathers • Began court case management services for high conflict divorce • Family support and mental health services for head start and early head start increased significantly • Established a PACT team for high risk adults suffering from homelessness, mental illness and addiction • Began anger management groups • Initiated specialty in child trauma treatment • Expanded child abuse services • Initiated co-occurring services • Established pharmacy to serve mental health clients • Expanded partnerships and collaborations to better serve the community • Initiated 24/7 mobile crisis services for children • Purchased a 65,000, six-story facility to house growing programs (450% increase in last half of this decade) • Initiated and completed an $11.8 million capital campaign to renovate and endow the facility • Began the Women in Recovery program for women facing incarceration due to addiction • Implemented new Systems of Care program for children • Implemented new home-based trauma treatment program for children • Expanded family preservation services to 31 Northeastern Oklahoma counties • Implemented new evidence based trauma treatment models for children • Initiated DUI school • Expanded assertive community treatment program for homeless• Implemented new evidence based trauma treatment models for children • Created new integrated health program • Open new 24/7 CrisisCare to provide short-term crisis stabilization for emergency psychiatric needs of adults • Initiated and completed a $6.5 million capital campaign to renovate and endow the facility